WHO WE ARE
The YMCA is a cause-driven organization focused on three key areas: youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility. We believe a strong community can only be achieved when we invest in our kids, our health, and our neighbors. Our programs, services, and initiatives enable youth to realize their potential, offer families ways to have fun together, empower people to be healthier in spirit, mind, and body, welcome and embrace newcomers and help foster social responsibility.
In 1883, a group of concerned Beatrice individuals started a boys club called the YMCA. Based out of a local church this group was concerned that wayward youth were unable to partake in physical activities and outings.
In 1903, a campaign to raise $25,000 for a YMCA building was conducted. At a mass meeting held at the Presbyterian and Methodist churches, it was announced that only $13,000 of the necessary $25,000 had been raised. Mr. William A. Wolfe offered a surprise gift of the east half of the Wolfe-Bartling block on Court St. plus a substantial amount of cash if the Y would be named the Mary A. Wolfe Memorial YMCA. The Mary YMCA remained at this location until 1981 when a successful campaign allowed it to move to its present location at 1801 Scott St.
For over 100 years, the YMCA has remained the premier voluntary social service organization in Gage County, staffing over 100 volunteers and 95 paid staff.